1) Do you support paying a living wage to all School Board workers including part-time, temporary, seasonal, and contracted workers? (The ACLC defines a living wage as 125% of the Federal Poverty Level – currently $14.78 an hour).
a. How will you ensure contracted workers are paid the set wage?
I cannot insure it but I will collaborate with board members and the union to reach that goal.
b. What is your plan to get us there?
Collaborating with board members and the union representative that the pay scale is competitive.
c. What ideas do you have to help improve wages and benefits for workers throughout our community?
Represent the community well on the board by being an advocate for students in obtaining an equal and equitable education. The goal is to have educated citizens that will contribute to the local workforce.
2) Do you support providing paid administrative leave for part-time, temporary, seasonal, and contracted City workers in the event of emergency work closures (e.g., hours missed due to Hurricanes)?
No. I do not believe different agencies will have the funds to cover the costs incurred due to uncontrollable events: hurricanes, flooding, fires, high winds, airborne biohazards and power outages. The event will cause funding constraints and state funding should be given to workers who provide the services. The severity will determine state voucher assistance to docked employees.
3) Do you support a “Renters Bill of Rights’” which would:
- inform renters of their rights under existing laws
- offer an alternative to costly courts to settle disputes over security deposits and damages
- protect renters from high utility bills by enacting policies that require landlords to make basic investments in energy efficiency
Yes, I support a renter’s bill of rights since unforeseen events can cause a renter to lack funds.
4) Do you support a local hiring preference that includes the use of certified apprenticeship programs for taxpayer funded projects?
Yes, local citizens should be given preference to perform local jobs unless there are time constraints and the apprenticeship will hinder the project completion in a timely manner.